Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Girl and her Pup

Ella and Pup....



My older two kids never had a security object, other than MY hair!
When we returned home from China with our Ella, my Mom had bought her a stuffed dog and left it in her crib. When I first saw it, I thought...that's cute, but like most stuffed animals, it will shortly end up in a pile in the corner of the bedroom. Hmmmm-not the case!






The stuffed animal stayed in the crib while Ella slept for her naps and at nighttime. Then a few months later, when Ella was about 18 or 20 months of age, the stuffed animal was named, Pup. Pup then became an attachment object for Ella while she worked so hard herself to learn to attach to her new Mommy and Daddy. Oh, how she loved her Pup. He got kisses and hugs long before we did. He went everywhere with us. But you see...Pup was more than just a security object-he was a real living being to Ella and still is 2 years later! You will see him in the background of many of our pictures. It was hard for me to narrow down which photos to use for this post. You will see how much better shape Pup was in when Ella was younger as opposed to now.



Pup goes most places with us. He even traveled to China with us when we brought Sophie home. He is not just an object that she holds close for comfort. He has feelings and Ella doesn't just plop him places. He takes turns in our games, goes down the slide, gets covered with blankets, etc. He is very real to Ella. She talks to him and comforts him and always tells him how much she loves him. The trauma therapist that we have seen in the past, believes that in Ella's eyes...Pup is a little Ella. She feels that Pup has been monumental in helping Ella heal from some of her past hurts.



Now, Ella goes to a little preschool class on Thursdays called "Moms Morning Out". Sometimes she wants Pup to go to school with her and since preschools don't allow objects from home to go with the kids...I compromise with her and tell her Pup can go to school, but he has to stay in the backpack. She is fine with that.

Ella's preschool seems to have issues with the smoke alarms as her class has already had two fire evacuations with bells sounding and evacuating and firemen and all. The first one did not seem to bother her-which amazed me. However, they had one last week and it terrified her. She keeps saying I was scared and the firebells were so loud(she does not handle loud noises well). She told me she was not going to school today because of this. I didn't make her and was sure the loud fire bells were the reason, but....


Last night I was putting her to bed and she started hugging Pup and crying one of those really deep emotional types of sobbing cries. She said "Mommy there was fire and Pup was in my backpack and couldn't get out. I needed to get him, Mommy so he would be safe, but I couldn't get him. I had to leave him in the fire. He needed me to make him safe and I couldn't get him."

Oh, how my heart broke for her! No wonder why she has been so upset about this. She had to leave her Pup in what she thought was a fire and thought he was getting hurt and she wouldn't see him again.



Bless her sweet, innocent heart!!

 

21 comments:

Retta said...

What a sweet story about Ella and Pup, and what a tender caring heart little Ella has. We have our own version of "Pup" over here named Nala. She is starting to turn up in lots of pictures too! It continues to amaze me how brave these little girls are who have gone through so much in their little lives. Praise God that they can attach to their precious Pups and Nalas (and their momma's and daddy's!)

nikki said...

Oh Michelle, that was so sweet. And that is EXACTLY how Lily feels about her "Spot"...although most of his spots have been rubbed off after almost 3 years of being held, hugged, kissed, rubbed, etc.
I love it.

Steffie B. said...

What a sweet little girl.....I just love this story! Sophia is this way about her blankies. There are like 8 in her bed with her and she has to have one with her at all times.

OH MY #6 said...

Oh you made my day with this post.

Lea

Isabella's Mommy & Daddy(Kim & John) said...

Love this post....
Ella is sooooo pretty... Pup is someone special..
I have come to find out that a lot of the girls have some kind of security and it has helped them through all their bonding time..
I will keep that in mind..
I love reading your blog.. the girls make me smile..
They are both sooo adorable..
I love the picture of Ella laying against your dog and she has pup on top of him...
BEAUTIFUL..
Have a Great Weekend..
Thanks for making my day brighter..

Walker said...

That's so sweet! My Daughter has a little bunny that she takes everywhere and sleeps with! She is 4 years old and we have managed to keep it around! It has had MANY surgeries and has even been left in the parking lot @ a K-mart (30 miles from home) yup! I called and the employee's went on a search!! HE was found and I went back and got her lovey! ;0)
Blessings!
Keisha

Carmen said...

How sweet and caring is Ella. Ami has her baby and she says she is the mommy in the house and I am the grandma. Once I wanted the baby out of the car and told her it would get too hot in there for the baby. Now she doesn't want to leave the baby in the car so we bring the stroller along for the baby :)

Now you have the perfect reasoning for Ella not to take the pup to school - it is not safe for him there. Let her take the pup to school but then say he is much safer with you and you will take care of him and bring him to her when its time for pick-up. This works with Ami :)

Beverly said...

Oh bless her sweet heart. Glenys has a blankie that is very alive and can respond and even get in trouble sometimes!!

beverly

mommy24treasures said...

this is just the sweetest!!!!!!

Debbie said...

How cute are these pictures and story of Ella and her Pup!! I love it!! She is a beautiful little gal!! It is great that Pup traveled with you to get her sister!! :)

Debbie

Robin said...

Okay...that is one of the sweetest stories I've ever read! I feel like I just finished a story book. I'm in tears at the thought of Ella thinking she was abandoning her pup in a fire. She has such a big heart for such a little girl. All the photos were beautiful but I especially like pup on Katie's back. So, so sweet!

Steffie B. said...

You are the 4th person telling me about yoga. Perahps I will look into it! Thank you...have a great weekend!

The Byrd Family said...

Oh..my heart is aching as I read how upset she was. She must have felt mortified about her puppy being left in a fire.

Adorable pictures, I love how she is carrying him down the hall with her. Just precious!

JShannon said...

Oh my that is so sweet. That shows how much of a heart she has. I clearly remember "pup" while we were in China. I bet all the pictures of Ella with pup will be precious to her when she gets older.

Tiffany said...

Ella & her PUP are too cute together. Bless her sweet heart!
That brought tears to my eyes thinking of your little Ella concerned for her PUP. Oh my...

Mob said...

That is so cute. You could write a childrens book about the adventures of Ella and Pup. My older daughter had a blankie called "Nappie" and it went everywhere with her. One time nappie almost flew out the car window and i saved it ...yea for mom!

Donna Geer said...

That was touching Michelle, just touching. What a great job you have done seeing into her heart & helping her. Hi To Dave from Charlie too.

~~ said...

Well she really loves tha tpup! How cute!
Patricia

Tamara said...

My son has a dog- we named him Dreams- he keeps the bad dreams away and the good dreams in. He has had him since he was 2 years old. He is 14 now- I am just keeping my fingers crossed that he can go to bootcamp with him.
Our Dreams looks alot like your Pup -
Tamara

The Princess's Mommy said...

OH my goodness! How precious! I love all the pup pictures! Lily Mei has a cat blanket that she doesn't let out of her site!!

Monica

Sheri said...

This is just precious. Ella's concern about pup being left in a fire made me tear up. Ella is one sweet little girl!

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!