Monday, April 21, 2008

The Colors of Us


This is our new bedtime/nap time favorite! I am often amazed at how in tuned to and aware that our little ones can be. Somethings that I expected in the later years are actually there already. One is how our girls would perceive the differences amongst our family. We all know what it feels like when we venture out into public...the looks, the comments, the questions. But I am truly surprised at Ella's awareness at the age of 3.


IMG_1128
Ella talks ALOT about her black hair, in such a way that it seems to me that she is aware that it is "different" from ours. Chelsea and I always tell her that we would LOVE to have her beautiful silky hair and we would!! And then there is the skin color, which she never really mentioned. We started reading this book and she just glued herself to it. What surprised me is her insistence that her skin is light brown not dark brown. We just read the book, we don't really dialouge with it, yet she takes it upon herself to discuss how light her skin is(emphasizing light)...almost in a defensive type of way. Now, this is indeed true in the winter months...but come spring, her skin turns a beautiful dark, golden brown color, that again most of us would LOVE to have! Her skin is so intriguing...it literally tends to darken with the season...we have only been able to go outside a couple of days so far(weather wise) and already her skin is several shades darker. I used to think it was the sun, but it really doesn't seem to be just that.
She is breathtakingly beautiful to us and we pray she grows up with the same self image that we have of her!
IMG_1125
I am waaaaay cool!


IMG_1122
sisterly love


collage
These two are not easy to keep up with, especially on these slide things, but I can do it!!!

**I just noticed someone's foot was in the top picture, but don't have time to change it. LOL!**
so, it is what it is!

 

12 comments:

missy said...

Isn't it amazing at how intuitive children are? Paige was the same way about the color of her skin. I think they just want to be so like us, when we would love to be like them. Your girls are just beautiful and they will grow up confident and strong with a great mommy like you!

Isabella's Mommy & Daddy(Kim & John) said...

Children are sooo smart.... I would LOVE to have her skin and her hair... they are sooo beautiful...
LOVE the puppy pictures.. she sure is growing..
Have a Great Week..

mommy24treasures said...

AWWW. It is surprising how their little brains work so early.
I think she is beautiful alos. Chloe and Jacob's skin also turns darker and we get more stares and questions in the summer. I am constantly attempting to build their self esteem and assurance that they are exactly who they have been created to be and that they are special exactly the way they are as well/
Thanks for sharing. Love the puppy pics!

Steffie B. said...

Darling pictures....Sophia talks about her black hair constantly. I think she notices the differences but doesn't quite know how to express it yet. I'll be getting this book....thanks for sharing! ;)

nikki said...

Oh yeah, smart cookies these girlies are...you know that Lily and I are having the same conversations here!
She just told me today that I'd better apply more sunblock - cuz my skin was RED, and not TAN like hers...ugh.

Great pics!

Waiting for Mia Hope! said...

Ella is one smart cookie that is for sure! She is VERY beautiful...as all of your children are. Love the panda glasses...I guess the panda line arrived in your town? heehee Seriously that is the cutest puppy I've ever seen. I hope you had a wonderful day today! :)

The Byrd Family said...

Children are so smart and listen way more than we think they do. I try to limit my eye contact now with people when we are in public to avoid conversations and bad remarks. Totally opposite of when I first brought Lottie home, I used to encourage adoption conversation. Funny how that changed as they get older. Love the puppy on the slide!

Mob said...

What a darling little book, I'll have to look into that. Your two girls are beautiful!

Sharon said...

You will have to tell me what worked for you when they aske questions like that. I hope i don't blow it!! Thanks for thebook recommend! Great shots too. My husband just got home and I have to hurry and look like I wasn't blogging all day..hahahaha

AZMom said...

Her skin sounds a lot like my daughter's. My son on the other hand, burns in the summer and is very fair skinned.

The pictures are gorgeous!

The Princess's Mommy said...

The pictures are GREAT!! I love the glasses!! The puppy is beautiful! She's sure is getting big!!

Tiffany said...

Great photographs!!! Beautiful as always!
Your puppy is also SO very cute.

We have that book also and really like it. Great recommendation!

Lily is constantly talking about her black hair (she calls it her lady hair... who knows where that comes from).

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!