The little ones had a play date today and had lots and lots of fun! It was such a beautiful day here!
Now, for the big ones...I love them with all of my heart, but when I read this-oh, how so many of these apply to them and many of these things I have actually said to them or indicated the same idea. They are such good kids, but they are definitely teenagers growing up in times that are much different than when you and I grew up!
The following is from a speech given by Bill Gates to a High School.
The following is for all you Moms and Dads of teenagers!!
1. Life is not fair - get used to it!!!
2. The world won't care about your self esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
3. You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice president with a car phone until you earn both.
4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.
5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.
6. If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes-learn from them.
7. Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were.
8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many chances as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
9. Life is not dividded into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.
10. Television is not real life! In real life, people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
11. Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
Do you know a teenager these may apply to?? : )