Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gung Hay Fat Choy

Or....Happy Chinese New Year!!!!!

Isn't China such a fascinating country?! Just so full of culture! We were very fortunate to travel to China this time of year...3 years ago when we traveled for Ella. Boy, do they go ALL out for this Holiday! Everywhere we went, there were decorations and then we were serenaded by fireworks each night! Which the first time we heard them, were so loud, we thought they were gunshots!

Below are some pictures that I took while we were there of some of the CNY decorations. I added the group shot picture, because if you look in the background, you will see how all of the homes decorate for this Holiday...with the red banners...bringing good luck into their home for the New year.






Ella's pre-school celebrated the Chinese New Year. One of her teacher's has a little girl from China and she really went all out for the celebration. I was so happy! She decorated their classroom and had them do the lion dance along with making some paper lanterns....she even wore a beautiful Chinese silk jacket for the celebration! I made some little goodie bags for the kids to take home.





We put some gold- foil covered chocolate coins in the lucky red envelopes.

I printed out a coloring page for each bag with a Year of the Ox theme and we made little cards with the meaning of CNY.




Our local University has a group of Chinese students that so generously donate their time in holding classes for the girls and boys adopted from China. The class is called Little Dumplings! It is held 4 times a year and the students organize the whole thing....always geared toward teaching Chinese culture. I think this is such a wonderful thing for them to do and a great opportunity for the young kids! The students really seem to love interacting with the young children. There is usually a ratio of 1:1.
P1241721
Here we are learning the art of Calligraphy.
P1241724

P1241722


Sophie is not fond of social events such as these, but we took BaBa along, so he could kind of sit in the corner with her. The Chinese students kept eagerly coming over and trying to help her....and that did not go over well, because they kept touching her and getting in her space. Nuff said!
P1241723


Next....the art of paper cutting! How amazing is this art? We have many pieces that we bought in China and it is just fascinating! What skill!
P1241728


Then a student with a lovely singing voice, taught the kids some Chinese songs.
P1241738


Some motions to go along with the music.
P1241743


Game time. One of the games involved throwing pretend fruit in kind of a dodge ball type game. My girls did not quite know what to think of this!
P1241751


Ba Ba...can you help me with this game? Mommy always tells me not to throw balls at people.
P1241753


The girls with their friend Alexis.
P1241734


Lucky red envelopes were given out as a CNY wish! You can tell by Sophie's face that it was time to go home. lol!
P1241757


Ella has been busy making paper lanterns to decorate our home with!!!
P1251764

P1251761

So, that is some of how we have been celebrating the Chinese New Year. We are not over, yet, though! This Saturday we are driving out to Atlantic City, where there is going to be a very large celebration. And the Saturday after that, the girls Chinese school (where they take classes each Saturday) will hold their celebration and each class will perform some songs they have learned. We are looking forward to both and will share pics when they happen....weather and viruses allowing! : )

Have a great week!!!





 

26 comments:

my3 kids said...

What awesome pictures Michelle...it looks like you are all having some great fun celebrating the New Year...Gung Hay Fat Choy from our family to yours...Love Janice

OH MY #6 said...

Looks like "BABA" is having a good time too.

The laterns are precious.

Happy CNY!

Lea
xo

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

Happy CNY...
It looks like the girls had a Wonderful time..
Love the lanterns... great job...
I love following the blogs and seeing the different ways to celebrate..
Have a great week..
Hugs..
Can't wait to see photos from the other events...

mommy24treasures said...

How wonderful Ella's teacher has a little girl from China as well:)
Ella is really talented with the scissors!
Love her pony tails such beautiful hair.
Happy NY!
Love
C

Mom To Six said...

Happy New Year, my friend!! I love the pictures. How neat that you have so many CNY activities going on in your town, too.

Hugs,

Ohilda

Waiting for Mia Hope! said...

What a special celebration for the girls! Love everything...the lanterns...the goody bags...the classes... What a great idea to attach the coloring page. So wonderful that baba could be there as well. China has such a beauty all its own.

I love how Ella's face just lights up!! Beautiful girls!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Love,
Robin

Jewels of My Heart said...

WOW! What a wonderful post!
Happy New Year!
I loved all the pics... oh, how I miss China.
All of these activities are so cool. That is so neat that your girls get to go to these events.
Ella's lanterns are incredible! So lovely. Great job Ella!
You do such fun things with your babies.
Love,
Daleea

Colleen said...

Happy CNY to you!!!!! Thank you for sharing the China photos. What a special time to have been there.
I love your CNY goodie bags. Faith is bringing red envelopes and coloring sheets to her class today.
So special to have the classes for the girls to go to. Looks like they are really enjoying it!
Hugs!

Jeff and Amy said...

That is so awesome Michelle, looks like the girls had alot of fun and keeping them in touch with their culture is just amazing. How I truly wish we lived somewhere a little bigger that offered these activities. About 2 hrs from St. Louis but I would be willing to drive for something that neat:)

JShannon said...

It's nice that there are activities in your area. I have a very hard time finding things around here. It looks like everyone had fun.

Jennifer said...

What fun!!! Looks like you are having a blast celebrating Chinese New Year!!!!

We also traveled to China at the tale end of CNY. The fireworks every night were amazing!

Jen

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

How amazing that you got to experience CNY while you were in China!!

The pics of the girls are so cute...I love that they are dressed the same!!

Looks like you have done lots of celebrating...AC sounds like a blast...can't wait to see those pictures!! Have fun!

Lisa

Tiffany said...

Love those lanterns! Lily and Ty would love making those.

It sounds and looks like you have a lot of fun things planned and going on for Chinese New Year.

I know I repeat myself but I love all the pictures.

Those goodie bags that you made are just too cute!
So many great ideas!

Happy Chinese New Year!
Tiffany

a Tonggu Momma said...

I am feeling terrible because I am jealous. I am jealous you traveled to China around CNY. And I am jealous of your Little Dumplings Program. Okay, so I'm happy for you, too, but mostly feeling sorry for myself. LOL.

新年快乐 from the Tongginator Family! I'm glad y'all had such a wonderful time.

Michelle said...

Happy Chinese New year! I have to prepare activities for our weekend celebration and I am so far behind, I have done nothing! What fun, and maybe I will come back to get some ideas!!! Thanks!!
Blessings!
Michelle

sara said...

I LOVE your lanterns!! So cute to see them celebrating CNY in preschool! Last year I sent the boys to school with red envelopes with chocolate money & some mooncakes. Boy, where did I get that energy? For some reason this year, Nothing. Nada. Maybe we will go to PF Changs this weekend???LOL!!!

Colleen said...

The pictures are awesome!! What a fun time for all!! I love the pictures of New years in China. I was in China during Christmas and I couldn't believe the Christmas decorations...but nothing like the New Years decorations....WOW!
Your girls are just adorable and the lanterns are so cute!!!

Sandi said...

OH LUCKY you guys, having all the nearby places to celebrate! and those chinese students to teach the kids!!! Thanks for posting the pics from China 3 yrs ago! That was neat! Good to catch up with you!

OH MY #6 said...

Michelle,

I have tagged you! Visit me when you have time.

Lea
xo

Donna Geer said...

Hi M & D,
I've been thinking about you a bunch these past few days. Almost three years now. Wow.

I'm finally working on Grace's life book & enjoying reminiscing.

Miss ya,
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michelle!!!! What amazing photos of Ella and Sophia both!!!! Wow! Little Dumplings Class looks like so much fun! Hope we can make it to the next one! That's nice that Alexis was there with you, too! Have a safe trip to Atlantic City for the big CNY party on Saturday! Can't wait to hear all about it and we will let you know how the FCC Celebration goes!

And, that's great that your Chinese School party is coming up, too! I heard that our's was fantastic, but we were at a baby shower and couldn't be there! Oh well!

What beautiful party bags you made for all of Ella's pre-school classmates! How lovely that Ella's teacher dressed up in China-attire! Wow! A true blessing to have her in your daughter's life! God is oh so good! We had a fun CNY Day in Maria's pre-school, celebrating, too! A lot of the parents surprised me today and told me that there children were all talking about everything we did and everything I taught them in class and that made me sooo happy! Their dragons were dry today, so they all went home with them!!!! Maria's has a pink body!

Love, Maria XO

Steffie B. said...

Great pictures.....what a fun time you all have had celebrating CNY thus far..... ;)

Hugs,
Steffie

Beverly said...

great pics. glad the girls had fun though Sophie met her limit.

Michelle said...

What a great party!! How great that you were in China during their celebration to know what it is really like. We are only going to one party on Sunday, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Enjoy Atlantic City. Take lots of pics!

delucchi family said...

Love all the things you did for Chinese New year, we are going to a party for new year this weekend.
I love love your photos!! They tell such a story!! Lots of Love
Jules
xxx

The Byrd's Nest said...

How did I miss this post? What a great time for your whole family...even "Sopie". Lottie would have been the one in our family to wig out over all of the people touching her and talking to her...she is not fond of the Chinese people..LOL

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!