Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mary and Martha

Luke 10:38-42.]
Martha had invited Jesus to her house. When the men sat down to listen to Jesus teach about God, the women were usually working around the house. They would prepare food for the guests, keep the house clean, and clean up after meals. Martha was getting mad because Mary was sitting and listening to Jesus. She wasn't helping with all the chores. Martha was a busy bee. She was cooking and setting the table and she wanted some help. So she complained to Jesus and asked him to tell Mary to help out. She didn't stop to think about what she was saying. She just knew she didn't want to do it all herself.




This was the girls Bible lesson on Sunday at Church School. I had the day off of work today and was really on a roll getting things done around here...that have needed done for so long! Ella comes to me in the midst of my busy-ness and says to me..."Mommy, you are very busy today...just like Martha. You need to stop and take a few minutes to spend time with God".

Oh, you are so right, my sweet girl. Today and everyday...right in the midst of our busy-ness....we need to just stop....and spend time with the One who loves us most!



scan0002

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago. They are scanned in, so the quality is not so great, but I really was happy with how they turned out. The dresses are adorable, aren't they? Jen made them and you can check out more of her creations here.

scan0001

I had Ella's pre-school conference today. I am really thrilled with her pre-school. It is at our church, so that makes it even more special! But the staff is just so warm and friendly. Her 2 teachers this year are just the nicest ladies you could meet. They said Ella is doing very well and is a joy to have in class. I asked if there was any child in particular that she plays with and they said she plays with everyone...but tends to like playing with the boys more. Yup! That's my gal.....she loves doing girlie girl things, but loves the rough play of boys...just a bit more! Here's a funny story.....we were at a family gathering a few weeks ago and there was a little boy there...same age as Ella....so they were pal-ing around. I watch as the little boy starts to initiate a little bit of rough play as boys tend to do. Ella thought this was great and joined right in...laughing and having the best time as they were wrestling around. Well, I think this totally threw the little boy off, because he really was not a match for my gal and it was starting to bother him a bit...so I had to pull her away. Ha! Look out boys.....girls can be very cute on the outside, but that does not mean they can't hold their own. lol!!!!

I need some suggestions....Ella really has a heart for Jesus and wants to learn so much about Him. I have not yet touched on the story of the Crucifixion, because it is a hard thing to hear about...even for us adults. She saw a picture recently that had Jesus on the cross and was asking so many questions, including the pain that was caused by the nails. She wants to know why Jesus was nailed to the Cross. Of course, I told her the reason, but she wants more. I told her I would have to look for a children's book that talks about this. This was 2 weeks ago and she has asked me EVERY day since then if I got a book about Jesus on the Cross. Any recommendations??


 

17 comments:

Michelle said...

What gorgeous family photos!! They turned out great!! I love the little matching dresses, too.

That is such a sweet story about Ella listening so well in Sunday school and calling you Martha. Unfortunately, I can be accused of that far too often, myself. Oh, how I want to be a Mary!! To just stop and be with Him!! It is so great she has such a heart for Jesus at such a young age. That must make your heart smile BIG!

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

LOVE , LOVE ,LOVE the photos of the kids..
The girls dress's are soooo cute..
Sounds like things are going well..
Hugs..
Have a Great Week..
Love ya girly..

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle,


Hi! How beautiful that your Ella loves Jesus so much! Tell her right from your heart!!! Share the story of his Passion, Death and Resurrection over and over again! Do you have a Children's Bible with Bible pictures? Maria loves to talk about Jesus with me all the time, too! And, I never hold anything back! I am so glad that you are inspiring such a love of Christ in your children, as well!!!!! A true sister after my own heart!

I just love the beautiful pictures of the girls in their purple and black dresses! Wow! You find the greatest clothing for your China Princesses on so many blogs! We are very lucky to have my Dad as a buyer at first Hess's (until it closed) and since then a Boscov's buyer, so my parents' get the discount and surprise us with so many special outfits, too, like the Valentine Heart set that Maria had on when we came over to your house last week!

Okay, Victor is home from his first ever Anatomy I Class now, so I want to see how it went!

I love you!

Yours in Christ,

Maria XOXOXOXOXO

a Tonggu Momma said...

I recognize those dresses! Jen's a Bethany momma. As for Martha and Mary -- don't we all struggle with this? :)

AZMom said...

Love the photos and those dresses are gorgeous!!!

mommy24treasures said...

the photos are wonderful it seems Sophie is really smiling with ease and more genuine. I am so glad.
LOVE the dresses.
I too am a Martha, totally understand.
So glad Ms Ella is doing so well in her class. I am sure she is an absolute joy.:)
Sent you an email about the cross.

Amie@HeartSmiles said...

out of the mouths of babes... WOW. Good for her. I am so guilty of being a Martha so often. Such a great reminder to keep the focus on what matters. Thank you for sharing that . It definitly spoke to my heart.

such cute pics of the fam!

And I love that her heart is focused on Jesus. What a great job you are doing. I need to find some books on that topic myself, so I will be peeking and borrowing suggestions people come up with. Good for her though. What a sweet little thing! Well done mom!

hugs to you!

:)
Amie

Waiting for Mia Hope! said...

Wow...from the mouth of babes. Good for Ella! Great photos of your beautiful children and your favorite color too!

Love,
Robin

OH MY #6 said...

Love those dresses. the girls look adorable. Well they all, are, beautiful children.

Lea
xo

The Byrd's Nest said...

Isn't it a blessing they really listen to these stories of the Bible? Funny you mention the cross because Lottie asked Elisabeth a few weeks ago. And Elisabeth explained to her the best she could. Last week Lottie drew some pictures of some people and then drew a cross over each one. I asked her why and she said because they were bad and they have a cross on them now. Guess we will have to spend more time on this one;)

I LOVE the pictures and am so proud of Ella for being everyone's friend. What a sweet sweet girl.

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Wonderful photos!

Mom To Six said...

Michelle! What beautiful pictures. The dresses are adorable and the kids are stunning!

As to Mary and Martha, oh yes...how I could relate. I so desperately pray for Jesus to give me Mary's heart.

My two little ones speak alot about the crucified Christ, mostly because that's what hanging in our church. We started talking to them about it during Easter last year. In the end, they love hearing about how he is no longer in pain and is sitting by His Father in heaven. If you find a good children's book, I'd love to hear about it.

Hugs,

Ohilda

Shawnstribe said...

Oh Michelle
what beautiful photos, your family are gorgeous.
X X's favouritesong is Jesus loves me....
so wonderful
xxx
s

Colleen said...

These photos are wonderful!!! What beautiful children you have!
Ella is such a sweetheart. I know you must be so proud! She just makes my heart smile:)

Mei Mei Journal said...

Jen's daughter Olivia is one of Lauren's best friends. We should all get together sometime! The girls pictures are beautiful.
April

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful photo of your children! Ella and Sophie's dresses are so cute!

Jen

Jewels of My Heart said...

What wisdom your sweet Ella has... the things our Father teaches us through our children...
The photographs are just beautiful, what a treasure.
I don't know of a children's book for Ella but I am certain you will find the words and scriptures to understand that Jesus on the Cross was His gift of love for us.....
Love,
Daleea

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!