Saturday, March 14, 2009

Catching Up

Where oh, where is she??
P3141988

My Mommy used to always have the camera out and always blogging. What happened??

No worries. I am here and we are all fine! Thanks for checking in on us!! The truth is...I just haven't been able to find the time to do everything I would LIKE to do, so must focus on the most important things. Let me try to give a recap of what we have been up to.

(my girls in matching gold dresses)
P2071916
The girls take Chinese class each Saturday morning and in the beginning of February, the school had a performance. Each class contributed to the show. The youngest class(our girls) sang 2 songs they had been working on. I have it on video and if I can figure out how to get the video up, I will....soon. It was really cute and we were very proud of them!
P2071927


Chelsea was home last week for what seems like an early Spring break. We were happy to have her back home, especially Ella! She misses her Sissy soooo much!!
P2061886

P2061900


The girls have been in dance class since September...tap and ballet. The big recital is coming up in June..can't wait! They love dance. Sophie was not really ready for a dance class in September, but I decided to put her in with Ella anyway with the belief that it is what it is. I knew it might help her in some areas. Well, for the first 4 months....it was not so good. She could not even stand in first position without falling over. She spent more time on the floor than upright...in true Sophie fashion.

(my girls in matching pink leotard/skirts)
PC111486

December is when it is time to buy recital costumes, so I checked with her teacher BEFORE I bought her costumes. The teacher told me that it was okay, because at least Sophie was staying on her X...not running all over the place. She told me that she would most likely not be "getting" the dance. I said that was fine.

PC111504

Well, fast forward a few months and guess who completely mastered the dance? She has a very different style of learning. I would hear her reciting the dance steps verbally over and over and OVER and then one day...she got it! The teacher and myself never would have guessed it would happen, but it did! Go Sophie!



We have turned the TV off and are learning to read. The girls have learned over 100 site words in just a few weeks...that include rhinoceros, tongue, and chimpanzee! How this came about....Ella started several months back with a real interest to start reading, so I began working with her and she started picking it up quite easily. I felt bad for Sophie, because both of the girls will be starting Kindergarten together in another year and a half. What an advantage Ella will have, but what about Sophie? Remember I said her style of learning is quite unique? A post in itself. I learned of this reading program and when I read the philosophy of the man who designed it...I knew it would be a good idea and Sophie would have a better chance at picking it up. I have learned so much about the brain in the first five years of life with all of my trauma research, that I knew this man's philosophy was right on!! So, we are doing it together and at first, just like dance...it seemed Sophie would not be able to master it, but she has found her own way and is mastering those words...one after another!


P3121945
We colored our tongues purple on Thursday for Abby. If you do not know Abby...please visit their site and be in prayer for this sweet girl! Abby

I am not done blogging...just slowing down a bit. I miss you guys too much when I am away! If any of you are on Facebook that I have not found...please let me know. A great way to keep in touch!


Spring is coming!!!!!!!!



 

24 comments:

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh I've missed your posts and pictures of those sweet girls! Way to Go, Sophie on the dance and the reading!! WOW! That is SO awesome! I know you are so proud!
Hope you are having a great weekend!

Love you,
Monica

Robin said...

You must be SO proud of BOTH of your beautiful dancers! Sophie looks just wonderful there in her little tutu, arms stretched upwards. It made my heart soar to hear of all she has achieved this year.

Maya has a dance class as part of her afternoon program, but for the first 4 months of the year she refused to set foot in the room, and rarely after that. They had their big recital last week - and they'd moved her up to the front row because she knew the steps so well - she sang along with every word too. I thought my heart would explode just watching her.

a Tonggu Momma said...

We've missed you round here! And I adore what I call the Ballet Belly shots. I think you can figure out which one I mean. Hee hee.

mommy24treasures said...

I am so proud of Sophie wow! A little dancer! That is wonderful to hear. I just love hearing about how the girls have been learning so much!
Homeschooling is so much fun.
I don't blog as much as I used to either. IT does feel better to not "worry" about having to have something to post and just post when I have something.
I just can't do facebook though. I gave it a whirl but found it could be too time consuming for me versus blogging, plus the send each other a drink or a gift and all that stuff was too much for me too.
Thanks so much for the update Michelle!
Love
C

eileensblog said...

I think you still blog more than I do. LOL I do like Facebook!

The girls are beautiful in their ballet costumes! Way to go Sophie! Lindsey had her last ballet class this morning and the recital (3 performances, long weekend!) is next weekend. I know I'm going to cry! She's so beautiful.

I may have questions for you about eye patching when the time comes. :-)

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh, they are so beautiful and sweet.
That is so cool that they both got to do the recital. I am impressed with their reading! I have wanted to get that program for Hannah. Good to know it actually does work! Thanks for sharing.
Glad your Chelsea got to come home for a while. I know you must miss her so much.
You are all in my prayers.

Kristin said...

My blogging has slowed down too as I further investigate (become addicted) to Facebook. :-)

I love your update. Yeah for Sophie for mastering the dance steps! Each child learns in her own way. She figured out what works for her.

I've never heard of the reading program you are using but will read more about it. If it's working for Sophie, it may work for some of the kids I teach too. Thanks for sharing!

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

Sounds like the girls are doing well.. Reading and dancing and just pure cuteness..
Miss ya girly..
but glad we can chat for a few on fb...
Have a great weekend..
Hugs..
Love ya..

Jackie said...

Hey Michelle,

What dance class are they in? Carmela is in dance, but after the recital I think she is done. She just doesn't enjoy it as much as we had hoped. The girls are just so adorable! Glad to hear all is well. I will try to find you on facebook :)

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

Good to hear from you! I'm on FB too! Here's a link to me.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I knew you have been very busy, but wondered when you were going to get back to posting.....so glad that you found the time for an update:)

Looks like everyone is doing really well....and I am so proud of Miss Sophie....two great accomplishments!!

I will send you an email when we get back.....I can't wait to see you and the girls!

Lisa

Blessed Single Mom said...

Hi Michelle,
I love all the pictures and your girls look great. I am glad Sophie is doing so well. I am also on FB and would love to connect there also.
I blog less also. I love blogging but I can let it take to much time away from the things I really need to be doing.

Retta said...

Hi Michelle, it's great to hear the update! Those dance pictures are too cute, and I'm so impressed that Sophie worked so hard to get the dance (do any 3 year olds actually get the dance?!?! :) Amazing girls you have!

GGAdventures said...

So happy to see an update! The girls look just precious in their Chinese outfits and tutus! You must be so proud of both of the girls for their many, many accomplishments!!! I'll be checking into that reading program. That's FANTASTIC!!!

Colleen said...

Ohhhhh it is great to have an update from you!!! I can completely relate to not being able to find the time to do everything. As I get older this seems to be happening a lot more to me!lol
Glad everyone is doing well and looks like you all are keeping busy but a "fun" busy! The girls look adorable in their dance attire.
I just joined facebook and am kind of scared to get started....looks addicting!
Hope your having a great week-end!!!

Shawnstribe said...

Ive missed you too!!!!!!!!
so glad of an update.
So good to see your photos, love the ballet, way to go girls.
xxx
s

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the update! I loved all the pictures. I will have to check out that reading program. You go Sophie....mastering that dance!

I have been having a hard time keeping up in blogland too. There is not enough time!

Jen

Michelle said...

Hi Michelle,
I have missed you!! I see you have been busy doing so many fun things! How awesome that the girls are both learning to read, and that they are getting ready for their dance recital. You MUST post video of that!

It's great to hear from you and see pics of all your beautiful girls!!

Hugs,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michelle! Wow! Congrats to Sophia and Ella on their dancning! I can't wait to see pictures from their recital and hear all about it! Their gold China dresses are so beautiful! Did you get them in China? What songs did they learn in Chinese Lessons? Talk to you later! Love, Maria XO
P.S. How nice that Chelsea came home for a visit! That's so amazing that you have taught the girls to read! Maria and I have played "school" together, too, and we have "Hooked on Phonics", so we must get working on that! Maria's pre-school teacher has taught her class sight words, such as the and name, Jesus, etc.,., but clearly we need to get on top of this! Kindergarten in the FALL will be here in the blink of an eye!

holly m. said...

Both girls look wonderful! Our little Anna is starting to sound out words, too! It's so great to see their world and minds open to reading and enjoying it.:)

Jo in Aust said...

It was nice to click on your blog today and find a new entry ... great to know you are all okay ... lovely photos of two dancing girls. Take care. Jo

Waiting for Mia Hope! said...

Way to go Sophie!!! Kids...they will go out of their way to prove us wrong without even knowing it...huh? LOL Michelle, your children are all so beautiful! I'm happy to hear you like that reading program because I have had the website written down for months not knowing whether to invest in it. I wonder if it would help Mia? Its great to see a new post!

Love you!
Robin

Mei Mei Journal said...

You have thest ideas! I am going to try that program with my girls. Lauren is very excited to learn to read. At the least it will help Paige pick up some vocab. I would love to see you and the girls again. I will travel this time!

AZMom said...

I'm on Facebook...look me up...

Love the update. It's nice to see you back on here!

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!