Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mom's Intuition

P3172011

We do not do anything in celebration of St. Patrick's Day.....other than wearing some green. I wanted to share a little story about what this day means to me. My grandmother, when she was living, would always have the family to her house the week-end before St. Patrick's Day and she would serve us the traditional corned beef and cabbage. We did look forward to that day and miss it now that she is no longer with us.

St. Patrick's Day 19 years ago....we had our traditional corned beef/cabbage and at the end of the day, Dave and I went home. I was 7 months pregnant with Chelsea at the time. After we were home a bit, I started getting some very severe pain that was pretty much non ceasing. I had never been in labor before, but was pretty certain it was not labor pains because the pain was too high up. We thought for sure it must have been some kind of horrible indigestion from the corned beef!! I could not even sit the pain was so bad, so I just paced and did not know what to do. After a few hours of this, I called my OB. I was young at the time(23) and reluctant to call the doctor at such a late hour...almost midnight. She told me that if it did not go away, I was to get myself to the ER. I waited another hour or so and then called her back telling her I could no longer bear the pain...she met us at the ER.

Let me back track to clarify the title of this post. I knew something was not right while I was carrying Chelsea. I voiced my concerns and they were dismissed. I had an OB appointment just days before this episode and the doc(not mine) that saw me scheduled an Ultrasound for a week later. Why? Because I insisted to her that my stomach did not seem to be growing at all. She measure it and agreed. I felt uneasy that she did not send me immediately for that US. Why wait a week? But again...I was young and weren't doctors always right?? That was my first lesson in Mommy's intuition A gift given to us by God...for very good reason! Animals and Humans both posess this amazing gift. Also, my first lesson in the fact that Doctor's are human, too...therefore make mistakes.

So, needless to say...we never made it through that week for the ultrasound. My Chelsea was born 7 weeks early and I was told that because of what I had, referred to as HELP Syndrome... was causing her to get no nutrients whatsoever for weeks prior to that...hence no growth. The end result without delivery would be death to mother and child. Delivery was the only cure. My liver was starting to fail and she was is distress. I was transferred to a hospital with a well know NICU. They induced the labor and my first daughter was born. I am so thankful to God that He helped Chels overcome all of the things that could have hindered a child born before she was supposed to be. We love you Chels!

Thanks for letting me share my St. Patrick's Day story with you. Chels will be 19 this Friday and we are going down to see her and celebrate.

Spring is coming!! : )

P3172010

 

15 comments:

The Princess's Mommy said...

Happy (early) Birthday to Chelsea!! What a miracle she is and how blessed to have such a wonderful mother! Have a safe trip and a wonderful visit! We're heading to Texas on Thursday to see my boy!!

Love you,
Monica

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

Happy St. Patty's Day....
Great story.. but oh sooo scary ...
I was young too and you never know what to expect..
LOVE Ella's cute little shamrock..
Have a great week..
Hugs..

Missy said...

Awww, Michelle...I am in good compsny then, as my bday is this Friday, too. Tell Chelsea Happy Birthday for me!

Mother's Tuition is a strong thing, huh? Glad you followed listened to your body. What an amazing story!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh, my goodness. How scary at the time. But happy birthday to Chelsea now!!!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

What a great St. Patrick's Day story. I'm glad you followed your intuition especially at the age of 23. Chelsea is absolutely beautiful and I imagine when you carried her you looked very much like Chelsea and still do.

That is the most beautiful clover I've seen all day!

Love,
Robin

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

What a story! Mamas always know...

Happy early birthday to your daughter! And happy anniversary to you becoming a mama!

Maria said...

Hi, Michelle! Thank you for sharing your story! What a miracle of life and love your Chelsea is! Thank you, Lord, for saving both Michelle and Chelsea's lives! Amen! God bless you, dear friends!
Happy 19th Birthday, Chelsea!!!!! We love you!!!!!! Have a great time with your family! Love, Maria, Victor, Maria XO

Laura L. said...

Wow, that is quite a story. I'm glad everything turned out okay and she is healthy.
Happy birthday to her, and have a fun celebration.

delucchi family said...

Hooray for Chelsea and hooray for St Patricks day!! Yay, you are back in bloggy land, did you have a good break?
We missed you!
Love Jules
xxx

Michelle said...

Wow, Michelle. What a story!! I am so glad it had such a good outcome. Happy 19th Birthday, Chelsea!!

Shawnstribe said...

oh Michelle
God is sooooooo good.
I praise Him for saving Chelsea, she looks so beautiful, like her Mommy!!!!!
my twins(21) are lil miracles too, i had severe malaria (black water fever) when i was 7 months....so i understand.
God is good, and we hold in our hearts those that haven't had the same outcome as us (((hugs)))
Give your babe a hug from us.
And your irish princess with her shamrock looks adorable
xxx
s

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh I am so thrilled to have witnessed God's hand on Chelsea's life....she is a true miracle. Thank you so much Michelle for sharing this with all of us....Love you!

AZMom said...

Wow. What a great story but very very scary. Love Ella's hat!! Nice to see you back.

Colleen said...

Wow what an incredible story. My son Tyler (18)was born 6 weeks early and spent a week in NICU. Have a wonderful visit with Chelsea!!!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing your story. You are right about Mom's intuition. Happy Birthday Chelsea!

Jen

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!