Friday, October 16, 2009

Are You Meek??

Healing Choices: Be Teachable, Not Unreachable

From Rick Warren-Purpose Driven Life


Meekness means you have a teachable spirit. Meek people are eager to learn. They know they don't know it all and they don't try to pretend they know it all.

IMG_2402

James 1:19 is one of my favorite Bible verses: "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry" (NLT). It tells how to control your temper. In fact, if you do the first two, the third is automatic. When you're quick to listen, and slow to speak, you will be slow to anger.


IMG_2314


On the other hand, if we're slow to listen and quick to speak, we'll be quick to anger. We need to listen; use our ears; and be teachable, not unreachable.



IMG_2315



When someone makes a constructive suggestion, how do you respond to it? Do you get uptight and defensive? Are you open or closed to new ideas? Are you open to change or closed to change? When we are meek someone can correct us because we're teachable, not unreachable.



IMG_2378


A few weeks ago I saw this sign: "I'd rather change my mind and succeed than have my own way and fail." Proverbs 13:18 says, "If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace; if you accept correction, you will be honored" (NLT). A meek person is not a weak person; rather, a meek person is understanding, not demanding; gentle, not judgmental.


IMG_2365


A meek person is someone who has made the healing choice to be teachable.

The above is from Rick Warrens' Purpose Driven Life, which I receive through daily e-mails. I have always struggled with that whole weak/meek idea. I work in retail (Wal-mart) and have done so for the past 14 years. It is challenging to work with the general public. I witness things daily that I would prefer not to, but I know God has me there for a reason. I often think that my Faith walk would be so much easier if I worked in a less hostile environment, where I did not have things thrown at me and called swear words. Where I did not get screamed at on a regular basis or have to watch people stealing, and lying and cheating and hurting one another. Where the Christmas Holiday transforms from what should be a beautiful rejoicing of our Savior's birth to a very aggressive/hostile holiday that is all about material worship. I often feel like shouting above all the chaos, "you have forgotten Jesus!!"


But do you know what....that whole unpleasant experience that I call work HAS helped me to grow in my faith walk! It has helped me figure out that whole meek/week thing. Yes, it would be easier to work in a calm environment with other Christians, but I do not think that I would have grown spiritually as much as I have. I doubt that I would have accepted that meek is preferable and does not equal week!! For the many times that I have wondered WHY He has me working there.....may I never forget He has a Plan. Thank-you, Father for always making sure I am right where I need to be at just the right time!

Be blessed, my friends!!

 

19 comments:

Robin said...

People actually throw things at you? How horrible, I can't even imagine!

Beautiful pictures of your two wonderful girls. I'm sure remembering this trip will put a smile on your face even when the buying public lets loose it's worst.

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

BEAUTIFUL..
I sooo understand you fully..
HUGs..
Love ya..
I sooo needed to read this post today..
Have a great weekend....

The Byrd's Nest said...

True...so true my friend. Although I know from personal experience in a church environment....it can be the same....unfortunately. I know that you are touching lives each day....His light shines bright in you my sweet friend.

trina said...

Hi Michelle. I've been reading your blog and getting to know your family. Your little girls are just precious in all their Disney attire. Way too cute.
Rick Warren's books are just wonderful and life changing. I'll have to check into those daily emails.
Wow, you have been through so much with your surgery. Glad you are home and pray you will heal quickly. Hugs.
trina

Jewels of My Heart said...

I love all the pictures of your beautiful girls.... they just touch my heart.
I worked with the public for years.. big hug to you...... As hard as it can be I can't imagine places like WalMart or any where else that doesn't have Christian's working in them... shining the light of Jesus Christ... sharing His love....
Shine Bright friend....

redmaryjanes said...

Sometimes I am meek. That is definitely something I need to work on.

mommy24treasures said...

loved this thank you for sharing your studies...
LOVE all the pics too.
I do pray that each day someone is ministered to by your reaction to their unkindness or inconsiderate actions. You are a blessing.
Love
Connie

6p00e54eee13238834 said...

Meekness is such an admirable characteristic. One I am constantly working on.
I hope you are feeling well and recovering well.
I always enjoy visiting.
Patricia

Michelle said...

Thank you for posting this, Michelle. Funny how the word tends to have a negative connotation, but I desire to be more meek.

Beautiful pictures of your trip! I hope you are feeling better each day!

Hugs to you,
Michelle

The Things We Carried said...

This was a perfect weekend post! Thanks for sharing it. I love how you wove the girls into the words. It reminded me of being teachable as a child is,

delucchi family said...

Girlfriend, it sounds to me like you are GROWING!! Well done you, I still find it a daily struggle. This whole maturing in Christ is a fleshly warfare. Love your posting. It sounds like your job is tough, so well done for enduring!
Love Jules
xxxx

Deborah Ann said...

Oh, I love how you interlinked those beautiful pictures with a lesson. Very cool!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

What sweet photos of the girls! Great post and truly a virtue to ponder and practice.

Love ya!
Robin

Natalie said...

Michelle, what a great post. Thanks for the reminder!
Your girls sure are enjoying themselves...they look beautiful!
Hugs,
Natalie

Sharon said...

Beautiful post. Thank you Michelle.

Tiffany said...

Beautiful pictures and words that are so true! Thank you for sharing..... I also needed this post today!

Precious Gems said...

I have just written a blog post you might be interested in. Take a peek!
http://tracey-jane.blogspot.com/2009/10/mastering-me.html

Krista ~ Bits and pieces said...

Thank you for this post~ I needed to read your words, more than I can say here!! Thank you

Anonymous said...

please remind me of this next time i want to punch someone lol love you.
princes<3

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!