Friday, November 13, 2009

School Days




Sometimes, I do not know where the time goes. I often look at the date of my last post and am amazed it has been that long since I posted! The last couple of weeks we have experienced some rocky waters, but things are calming down now. phew! Ella came down with the dreaded swine flu and it was horrible. I have never seen any of my kids as sick as she was. We had to take her to the hospital at one point and it was just down right scary! We are thankful that she is back to herself now and that no one else came down with it! Sophie has a very strong immune system and Ella gets hit hard with any little thing she comes in contact with!

In my last post, I was rejoicing about getting my stent out, as to me it was a symbol of the whole operation coming to an end. But, the removal of the stent created some more problems and I am now trying to fight off a kidney infection. I was supposed to return to work this week, but am not going back now for another 2 weeks. As much as I do not want to go back, going back will be gaining back some normalcy for me!




I have been meaning to update you about school for the girls. Sophie goes to school 4 days a week. The bus picks her up at 8 and she gets home close to 4. Now, for the most part, that would be too long of a day for a 4 year old. But, I was very hopeful about this whole school thing with Sophie and my hope was assured..... she is making some big strides in her school and with that, some improvement at home!!

She loves her school and is doing quite well while she is there! This program will help her be ready for K in the fall. Without it, I think we would have been in big trouble. The heavy routine that is now part of her every day is very helpful to her. She is in school for a full day and is using up a lot of that anxious energy that gets her into trouble.

It has also helped her separate herself from Ella. Those of you who followed us to China to bring Sophie home, know that Sophie clung to Ella from the very first minute and has never let go. There was many times, up until recently, that Dave and I were convinced that she thought she WAS Ella! It is hard to explain, but we knew it was not normal or healthy. Now Sophie has her own thing. School.

Sophie is making leaps and bounds in her conversational speech. The girls now "chat" about school with one another. Their teachers, the kids in their class, recess, snack, etc. It is so funny to listen to them! They also play school and I hear them reciting things their teachers must say...such as, "raise a quiet hand". lol!

Sophie told Dave and I yesterday that her class would be getting a new friend on Monday. We were shocked. That was HUGE for Sophie to talk about something that was not in the here and now. HUGE!

Okay...this is getting too long. My next post will be about Ella's school and virtual twins. Hope you are all well!

Be blessed, my friends!!!





 

22 comments:

Shawnstribe said...

Michelle, i'm so so sorry about the added complications, big ((((((((hugs)))))))
i understand about dodgy imune systems, XX can't seem to shakeanything off,i think this years bug population is super strong ; (
my prayers are with you lovely lady
love ya my friend
xxx
s

Colleen said...

Ohhhhh Michelle, I know that flu can be scary! Poor Ella. So relieved she is back to herself!! It has really hit hard in our area. We have been trying to get in for the vaccine, but just not available. When Faith had it they put her on that tamiflu and I think that helped.
Wonderful how Sophie is coming along in school!! Great to hear!
And please take care of yourself!!! So sorry to hear about the complications. Yuk!! Will be praying for you!
I know what you mean about the weeks getting away from you. I have been that same way lately. Maybe we need a nice long relaxing vacation!!!:)
Enjoy your week-end!!!!

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

Sorry to hear about Ella getting sick...
And as for you.. sorry to hear about the little issue.. but you will be back to normal soon..
HUGS..
LOVE YA..
So glad to hear that Sophia is doing well in school..Love it..
Have a great weekend..

Felicia said...

Oh goodness..sorry to hear about the swiine flu with your little one and I hope you're on the mend soon.

Football & Fried Rice said...

Truly sorry that you are fighting more infection! And yuckiness.....Praying that the Great Healer will fight the infection for you!

Amazing to hear about Sophie's leaps & bounds. it really IS hard to explain what is going on - but you are journaling for YOU and you understand and know her growth - Praise God!! It sounds like things are going really well ;)

Can't wait to hear more about virtual twins. I am exhausted thinking about it - but long for a sister for Mya! (sometimes!)

Ohilda said...

I feel like I haven't been here forever and I sure have missed you!!! I'm so sorry that you dealing with additional issues from the surgery. I am keeping you in my prayers.

Oh Michelle, my heart was so happy reading about Sophie and school and he huge strides she's making. I'm sure that's a big sigh of relief for you.

Finally, all the kiddos here had the Swine Flu, so I know what you mean. Poor little Ella. Praising God she is back to normal.

Sending you big hugs!

Ohilda

Jewels of My Heart said...

WOW! Where do I begin....
I am so sorry that Ella had the Swine Flu but am so thankful that she is safe and that you are all well now... how scary!
I am so sorry you are having problems after all you went through with the surgery.... will be praying.....
That makes my heart smile that Sophie likes her school and is having some victories.
Thank You Jesus............
you are in my heart and my prayers...

TanyaLea said...

That darned piggy flu... it seems to be sneaking its way into everyones homes these days. grrrr!

I am sorry to hear about your complications and having to miss more work. We will continue to lift you up in prayer, Michelle. Hang in there and get better SOON!!

And so good to hear about Sophie's victories and big strides in school. Yipppeee Jesus!!! <><

Robin said...

Hurray for Sophie! She's chatting and talking about future events, I'm SO thrilled for you both!! This school sounds like a great program for her.

I'm sorry you and Ella have been having such a rough time of it healthwise, I hope smoother times are ahead for you both.

JShannon said...

Michelle I'm sad to hear that your still having complications from your surgery, (believe it or not, so is you know who) its those darn sensitive kidneys! lol. Poor Ella, I hate when kids get really sick. And it lifts my heart to hear that Sophie is doing so well, I'm very happy to hear that.
We will have to plan a get together soon.

Carmen said...

And I thought you were just busy with life. Sorry to hear about the health issues. My kids seem to be healthier since I put them back on Juice Plus. Have you tried that with Ella?

So great to hear about Sophie's triumphs!! You are even hoping that she will go to kindergarten next year. How great is that?

Sending you hugs and praying for your needs

Kristin said...

What wonderful strides for Sophie! I am so glad school is working well for her. Sounds like the routine is something that really works for her. Are there any summer programs with the school system that she can attend? It may help her transition to kindergarten better.

hollym. said...

Hi Michelle,
So glad to hear that Ella is doing better with her illness. All I've been hearing is that this flu is hitting so hard. It is truly frightening to see our children so ill.
I'm sure you're feeling proud of little Sophie and her growth. You are great parents and show that love and commitment go way beyond the feelings and frustration that we sometimes experience.
Praying for your health to improve,too, Michelle!
Take care!

redmaryjanes said...

I hope you all are well past the flu now. We have been lucky so far. This has been just an awful fall for illness here.

We have virtual twins too, so I can relate to how wonderful it is for Sophie to have something uniquely for her. Right now Eli and Sophia are in seperate classes in preschool and it has been good for both of them.

Bad news is our small area has only one Kindergarten class, so they will be together.

mommy24treasures said...

oh Michelle I am so sorry sweet Ella was so sick. I am so thankful she is doing better.
BIG WOW and handclap for Sophie that is huge!!!! I am so glad school is going well for her!!!!!! SO SO glad.
I know what you mean about posting, I need to get a new post up myself...
I hope you are feeling better soon and able to enjoy the holidays.
Love
Connie

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

I am so happy that Ella is past those scary days! I pray you are on the road to recovery this week as well. I worry about you my friend!

Great news about Sophie! Truly an answered prayer! I totally understand what you are saying about Sophie thinking she is Ella. We have the same thing going on over here.

Love ya!

Jeff and Amy said...

Glad to hear everyone is on the road to recovery, that indeed is so scarey!!!! It's been everywhere it seems, hope you get to feeling better too:) I have noticed since my kidney stone removal if I am not drinking water all the time my lower back starts hurting right away, pray you feel 100% by Christmast!!!!

delucchi family said...

Hey Michelle, what a lovely catch up on sophie and it is such a relief she is enjoying school so much. When Amy wasnt happy at hers it was such a worry.
Lots of Love
Jules
xxxx

Anonymous said...

We hope that Ella had a wonderful birthday yesterday!

Love,
Tammy, Sam, Emma, and Steve

GGAdventures said...

So sorry to hear about your complications. Hopefully you're on the mend.
Poor Ella. Sounds like AnLi, who picks up everything and gets hit hard. From A's flu in Oct., she's still sick. C is always healthy.
So happy to hear about Sophie's progress. That's awesome!!
Can't wait for the next post. Right now we are planning on holding Carli back a year so we will not have two Kers next year.

Take care of yourselves!!! So happy to see a post again.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh my goodness....I am so proud of little Sopie (do you think that people on your blog think I can't spell her name?? lol) Maybe this is really what she needs.....I am so very thankful that she is enjoying it and I continue to pray for all of you. Hope no one else gets sick! Love you!

Michelle said...

I have been so bad about blog reading lately. I am so sorry I am just now reading about your further complications. How are you doing now? I hope you are healing and no infection!!

And YAY for Sophie!! How wonderful to hear that she is loving school and doing so well.

Welcome to our blog! We are happy for you to be a part of our "Day by Day" and to share how God is working in our lives. To read earlier posts, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you can click on 'older posts'. Remember...we love to hear from YOU as well!